Thursday, July 9, 2009

Deep thoughts about days past

Depending on your perspective, it can be downright creepy or as I like to see it, fuel for the imagination. As life flies past us and we try to keep up with our lives while focusing on the moment and perhaps the immediate future ahead, it's sometimes nice to stop and unplug. I did just while at a photo workshop up in the San Juan Islands last year. While peaking into this old wreck, I tried to imagine what might have been part of the history of this dilapidated structure. Mind you, I have always seen the beauty of decay, but the feeling I was trying to connect with had nothing to do with the physical place. What celebrations had possibly occurred here. Was it a summer getaway for families to reconnect, tell stories by the fire, or get to know each other again. Did the old place house some sort of summer camp filled with youth creating fond memories for days ahead. If you really get a chance to slow down and "feel" the location, you can almost hear the voices. Truly, if these walls could talk (or at least whats left of them), I would love to listen :)

No comments: