Sunday, May 17, 2009

Looking over the volcanic rock field in Iceland

Being a geographically young Island, Iceland continues to evolve and create an ever changing landscape. Fields of volcanic rock from recent eruptions go on for miles and are covered in a spongy type moss. I had an intense urge to go off randomly exploring these fields, but was reminded by a local of the dangers of such a trek. Many a good hiker have slipped into deep and sharp crevaces somewhat inocently discused by bridges of moss. One wrong step and woops.....your havin' a really bad day!

I found this scene quite captivating and with the lighting just right, I shot a series of panoramic images that I have yet to process. I was told, about 2 days after, that I was actually looking at shifting masses of the North American and European tectonic plates. Very cool indeed!


Click to get a MUCH better view

No comments: