Thursday, November 27, 2008

Why I am most thankful!


As we come to a close of another wonderful Thanksgiving Day, its time for me to personally reflect on what this holiday really means to me. My life has changed a lot over the course of the last couple of years. One thing that has helped me keep focus has been a daily acknowledgement of thanks for who I am, what I have, and what I have to look forward to. It’s on a day like today that it seems most appropriate for me to blog about it. Besides the predictable ones (health, roof over my head, food to eat, etc), here are a few that are very special to me.

1. The gift of a child is a priceless one. My little one has been more of a ray of sunshine for me since my separation than she will ever know. I can think of nothing more in my life to give thanks for than her. I cherish every moment I am able to spend with this beautiful, bright, funny, and lovable daughter.


2. How can you describe a mother as wonderful as mine? There is no one I know of that puts other people first more than her. She has been such a support for me throughout my life…..someone who is always there for me, no matter what. And who more to trust than your Mother for a bookkeeper. I have entrusted her to help me out in the office for over 20 years now and she has done an incredible job. Thanks Mom ☺


3. While I am talking about moms, I gotta mention how thankful I am that Rebecca has such a wonderful mom. I am also thankful that we both look forward to maintaining a strong relationship, although not together, to be the best parents we can be.


4. I have found that when you have a passion in your career, there is no such thing as work. My chosen path has allowed me to be a creative force in a fascinating industry. I have never been good at drawing or painting, so “painting with light” has been a great way to express my creativity. I am thankful that so many wonderful clients have rewarded me with the opportunity.


5. When I mention “clients”, I am reminded of something else. Most of the people that entrust me to help create with them are more like friends. I have always appreciated that. Most recently, over the past 2 years, a lot of them have really been there for me in my times of need. It’s nice to have such a support network.


6. Speaking of support, how can I forget my crew! Outside of Nancy in the office, there is a great team I rely on to help us create magic. Keith’s meticulous detail to attention in keeping the shop in such great shape, Chris’s incredible ability to take my larger designs and figure out all the nuts and bolts (in addition to a million other things), Sarah’s ability to whip large crews into shape, and most recently, Eric’s energy, humor, talent, and likability. These folks are really the unsung heros! Thanks!


7. One more quick thing about work. As every industry is feeling the cutbacks, ours is no different. I could focus on the numbers that are down a bit, but there’s not much I can do about that. I can, however, be thankful for the work we do have. I am sure that there will be a few more bumps in the road, but I look forward to the future.


8. After a great day like today, I am also reminded of what an incredible family I have. My brother and sister have been such a special part of my life and I cherish the incredible memories we share from our youth and look forward to creating many more memories. I love you guys!


9. My recent explosion of interest in photography and digital imaging has to be mentioned as well. The mere definition of the word means to wright with light….something I have a little experience in. It has been nice to embrace this new passion…..something other than work to focus on. If nothing else, the intense need to capture images and moments around me has helped me really open my eyes to this fantastic world around me. I’d like to also give thanks to the wonderful inspiration all the people at NAPP have been in my journey of learning new techniques as well as the wonderful support from my ”flickr friends.”


10. "Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands. Shaking off with one mighty effort the fetters of Habit, the leaden weight of Routine, the cloak of many Cares, and the slavery of Home, man feels once more happy."
Sir Richard Francis Burton (1821 -1890)


What more can I say? When travel becomes a part of you life, it changes you….it should change you. It gets in your blood and helps create the very person that you are. I am so thankful for the incredible places I have been about to see so far in my life. From my earlier backpacking days in Europe every summer for about 5 years, to all of the exotic locations my career has taken me, I will always have these memories. I look forward to many more opportunities, and for that, I am thankful!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone ☺

No comments: