Saturday, September 26, 2009

A tough life in Shanghai.....for some that is

Shanghai was one of the most unique locations I have ever had a chance to wander about in. Although we were quite sheltered and pampered at the Hyatt on the Bund, the "real" Shanghai was just outside the door and a few blocks away. I spent a couple of afternoons exploring what could have taken weeks to really dive into. Smokey alleyways with pots of soup, skewers of mystery meet, dirt floored shops, wild dogs, kids running about, strange smells and noises, like I said, weeks to really explore.....

The river kind of cuts this vibrant city into 2 halves....the high tech, glossy, and colorfully lit newer side, and my favorite......the grungy, Old Shanghai side with its somewhat European influenced Bund and Old town area. As they scurry (well, not these 2 guys LOL!) to prepare for the up and coming worlds fair, it will be interesting to see if some of the old world charm is preserved. I have always appreciated the beauty in decay while traveling, and this area had alot of it. I can only hope that some of it remains as the beautification project continues for the Expo. I guess I'll have to head back someday to check it out again!

1 comment:

Liza B. Gonzalez said...

Keep exploring and bringing back these specatacular shots. Love the texture.